Before it went on sale last week, the original announcement was perfectly timed for the Serato 3.0 stems update back in December 2022, and it’s currently the best DJ controller on the market to utilize the new updates.
What is Stems? This allows you to remove or isolate components of a track such as the bass, drums, melodies and vocals. Within Serato, you can use four different audio stems in real-time, giving you the ability to create unique mash-ups on-the-fly and execute more creative transitions.
In addition to an excellent range of FX, both on-board and in-software, the 4-channel controller has the kind of rugged build-quality you’d expect from Rane; featuring a market-leading MAG-FOUR crossfader plus aluminium FX toggles in the mixer section.
The unit can be used as a standalone mixer but only with two channels, and whether you buy it or not would partly depend on how likely you are to use STEMS and all those other ‘FX’!
Best suited to: Performance DJs looking to explore STEMS and mobile/event DJs that use Serato.
Related post: 7 of The Best Top-Tier DJ Controllers
More resources: A quick introduction to DJ software (this post breaks down the 6 top players in the market and how to choose the right one for you!)
Rane Four: key features/specs:
- 4-channel mixer, 4-deck DJ controller compatible with Serato DJ Pro (Serato’s Pitch ‘n Time included).
- Full-size capacitive jog wheels (8.5-inch).
- High-quality performance-friendly aluminium FX toggles on the mixer.
- On-jog colour displays showing essential data such as BPM, waveforms and time elapsed, etc.
- 8 multi-colour back-lit performance pads for each channel to trigger Serato pad modes – Hot Cues, Roll, Sampler, Saved Loops STEMS, Slicer, Scratch Bank and Pitch Play.
- STEMS performance pad mode allows DJs to instantly isolate or remove vocals, melody, bass, and drums. The bottom row of pads adds STEM FX to the mix when removing elements.
- The dedicated instrumental/acapella buttons allow you to isolate or subtract the vocals or instruments of a track without leaving your currently selected Performance Pad mode.
- ‘Stem-split’ function splits the acapella and instrumental of a track across two deck layers of the mixer section, allowing you to cut up vocal samples in real-time, add independent FX to each element, chop the track up with the performance pads, and more.
- 22 dedicated on-board FX including Reverb, Echo, Scale Down, Recycler, Riser, and more.
- Channel FX section includes classic Filter, Filter, Roll, Noise, and Flanger.
- Dedicated slip mode and vinyl mode buttons on each deck.
- Two USB ports for seamless laptop changeovers; plus 2 x Mic input with dedicated volume and EQ controls.
- High-quality sound with all professional inputs & outputs (view tech specs via the product page).
- Size: Width 782.32mm x Depth 403.8mm x Height 106.6mm.
- Weight: 8.27kg.